Skip to Main Content

Transitional services can give you the money to get furniture and household items you’ll need for your new home. You can get up to $3000, including:

  • $1700 for moving expenses, including your security deposit or first month’s rent and application fee
  • $1000 for furniture, like a bed, couch, chair or table
  • $300 for household items, like dishes and towels

Transitional Services

Transitional services: Items and expenses necessary and reasonable for a person to transition from an eligible setting to his/her own home


  • Age 18 or older
  • Moving from an eligible setting to his/her own home
  • Moving to a setting where these items and expenses are not normally furnished
  • Not able to access transitional services from other funding sources (e.g., community nonprofit organizations).

A person must also:

  • Be enrolled on the BI, CAC, CADI or DD waiver or be reasonably expected to enroll within 180 days
  • Remain enrolled on the waiver for no less than 180 days after moving from the eligible setting to his/her own home.

Eligible settings

A person can use transitional services to move to his/her own home from any of the following eligible settings:

  • Adult foster care homes (corporate and family)
  • Hospitals
  • Institution for mental diseases (IMD)
  • Intensive rehabilitation treatment and Rule 36 settings
  • Intermediate care facilities for persons with developmental disabilities (ICDs/DD)
  • Nursing facilities
  • Registered housing with services establishments
  • Unlicensed settings.

Own home

A person’s own home is a setting that he or she owns, rents or leases that is not operated, owned or leased by a provider of services or supports.

Transitional services cover:

  • Essential furniture (e.g., bed frames, box spring and mattress, dining table and chairs, dressers, lamps, sofas)
  • Lease or rental deposits
  • Household supplies (e.g., cleaning supplies, dishes, drinking glasses, flatware, pots and pans, sheets, towels)
  • Moving expenses (e.g., moving vehicle rental, packing, unpacking)
  • Pest and allergen treatment of the home
  • Utility set-up fees and deposits
  • Window coverings.

Per person, transitional services cover a maximum of:

  • $3,000 per transition
  • One transition every three years.

The cost of essential furniture may not exceed $1,000 of the $3,000.

The cost of household supplies may not exceed $300 of the $3,000.


Connect With Us.

An individual’s county case manager usually initiates their referral for ILS services to us, but we can also connect with the county case manager on their behalf. Call 651.330.1559 or fill out the contact form to get started. We can answer questions and give you the support you need.